You can obtain a residence permit through investment in the Portuguese economy, with a minimum amount of €280,000 or more.
Golden Visa’s main advantage is the minimum requirement to stay/reside in Portugal.
- in the first 2 years the minimum period of stay is 14 days,
- in the next 3 years the minimum period of stay is 21 days,
- the total minimum required is 35 days.
Who can obtain this type of residence permit?
Any citizen of a non-EU country who will make an investment of at least €280,000 in the Portuguese economy.
The investment options for obtaining a residence permit in Portugal are:
- 500,000 euro – purchase of new estate,
- 400 000 euro – purchase of new estate in sparsely populated regions of Portugal (in this case, there is a 20% discount),
- 350 000 euros – purchase of real estate over 30 years old with subsequent compulsory renovation,
- 280,000 euros – purchase of estate over 30 years old with subsequent renovation in sparsely populated areas of Portugal (there is a 20% discount).
- The documents for the Golden Visa may be submitted either directly by the applicant or by his/her representative (authorized person or agency).
- The investment can be made either by an individual or a legal entity.
The steps involved in obtaining a Golden Visa to Portugal:
- Remote selection (investor reviews available real estate options), Afortis specialists provide a full range of advisory services,
- Negotiate the terms of the property purchase with the seller. It usually takes from 2 to 14 days (Afortis lawyers specify all the points of the contract),
- Visit to Portugal (the duration depends on the applicant’s wishes). The investor opens an account in a Portuguese bank, deposits the amount necessary to complete the transaction, and makes a purchase decision.
- Submission of an application to the SEF (migration service) https://www.sef.pt. Данный процесс обычно занимает до 1,5 месяца. It usually takes up to 1.5 months to complete this process. The investor also needs to acquire health insurance, as well as gather all the necessary documents in order to apply for a residence permit in Portugal. The specialists at Afortis offer a ”turnkey” service. We will prepare, translate and certify all necessary documents for you.
- Registration for biometric data submission of all participants of the application. This procedure takes 1-2 working days. Specialists of Afortis will arrange the most convenient date and time for the client to visit the SEF.
- Submission of biometric data and application documents for a residence permit in Portugal. This procedure takes several hours.
- Getting a residence permit card. Duration of waiting time for issuance varies from 4 to 6 months. Afortis lawyers can obtain the card/s (by proxy) and send it/s to the client.
- First renewal. Once you have been living in Portugal for one year, your residence permit can be renewed for a period of 2 years. This procedure takes 3 to 5 months.
- Second renewal. After the following 2 years of residence in the territory of Portugal, the residence card can be renewed for a period of 2 years. Once the renewal is approved, the resident is eligible to apply for Portuguese citizenship.
This is a list of documents required to obtain a “Golden Visa” to Portugal:
- certificate of ownership and contract of sale/purchase of the property,
- administrative approval of the restoration project*,
- all applicants’ passports and copies of their pages
- proof of legal entry and residence in Portugal
- medical insurance for all applicants,
- signed declaration of consent to a criminal history check in Portugal
- a certificate of cleanliness,
- a certificate of no debts from the tax office and social welfare authorities,
- certificates of marriage and birth of children,
- certificate of employment,
- educational references for children over 18 years of age.
* in the case of purchase of property over 30 years of age